Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Bang For Your Buck at the Main Street Bistro


Main Street Bistro, New Paltz, NY

The Bistro is a small eatery nestled in between many other small restaurants on the main street of New Paltz. The town is a constantly busy place, and the majority of restaurants on the main street receive very good business. Ever since coming to SUNY New Paltz, I had heard about the infamous Bistro and how tasty the food is. Determined to find out if the restaurant lived up to all the hype, I went with high expectations, ready to have a unique experience of my own.
My dad and I decided to take a trip to the Main Street Bistro when he came to pay me a quick visit a couple days ago. I had heard from every person that had gone there before that the wait could be extremely long - one friend had waited for an hour and a half once - so I was prepared to be waiting for a while. However, there was barely any line leading outside which I always witness on weekend mornings when I pass by. Since my dad and I were there in the early afternoon on a Wednesday, the wait was at most five minutes long. I assumed that the wait is the longest during late mornings on Saturdays and Sundays because the brunch menu is the most popular at Bistro. As soon as my dad and I walked in, the sounds of a busy diner were heard. Sounds of people talking and silverware clanging filled our ears. We were seated at a two-seat table right next to the front windows with a view of the bustling main street. The service was quick and speedy and the waitress was kind.

The Railroad Dave's

I ordered the “Railroad Dave's” sandwich which came with fries for $7.95 off the lunch menu full of sandwiches with quirky names, which was delicious. I was especially satisfied because eating off campus, away from the dining hall, is always a special treat for me where I get to fill up on real food. My dad ordered the “Peacemaker” sandwich with fries for $8.95 and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the food as well.

The Peacemaker

Overall, the atmosphere is wonderful and has a very laid back vibe - something New Paltz is already known for. The place is small and compact, but has at least 20 tables and booths placed strategically throughout so that there is enough room for people to move about comfortably. The menu has breakfast and lunch staples, such as eggs, home fries, caesar chicken wraps, and turkey burgers. Bistro, however, is known for its healthy, unique menu options, such as the stir-fry eggs and “Tofu Tomorrow” sandwich - complete with grilled portabella mushrooms, tofu, sliced red onions, alfalfa sprouts, lettuce & roasted red pepper salsa for only $6.95. Breakfast and lunch options are mostly priced anywhere between $2.00 and $8.00 - perfect for the broke college student looking for a tasty, hearty meal to eat off campus. According to the menu, the Bistro Breakfast special is the “best deal in New Paltz” and includes two eggs any style, home fries, and whole wheat toast  for $1.95, ($2.25 if you add meat.)
If you’re looking for a fulfilling meal that is guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds, I highly recommend the Main Street Bistro! I will definitely be headed there again for more tasty delectables.


No comments:

Post a Comment