Wednesday, May 2, 2012



My Hero: My New Favorite Hero

One would say that the town of New Paltz is not known for all of their fine eating establishments. But, being a SUNY New Paltz student, I can assure you that there are plenty of great places to go and eat. There are countless pizza places, a number of diners, several Chinese restaurants, and, of course, there are the fabulous bars. I thought that I had gone to eat at every worthy place of dining in New Paltz, but, alas, I was wrong. I heard some great things about the little submarine shop on Main Street, so I decided I would take my two friends, and my reviewing talents to My Hero.

One of the first things I noticed upon entering My Hero was how they decorated the place to make it look like we would be eating in Brooklyn in the 20’s. Pictures of famous New Yorkers like Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Muhammed Ali, and the Brooklyn Dodgers were all aligned across the walls. Another thing that captured my eye were the decorative flowers and lights on each table. It really brightened up my eating environment and put me in a pleasant mood. Also, the comfortable booth-seats made my stay better as well, because, lets be honest, who likes rock hard booth seats? 

Okay, lets move on to the food part of this food review. Do you ever go to a restaurant and and have trouble deciding between 10 different things because the menu is just so gargantuan? What I like about My Hero’s menu is that it is only 2 sides! They offer different styles of their fresh pizza ($1.99 a slice), a wide variety of heroes, and an assortment of calzones so it should not be too difficult to make your decision.While skimming through the menu, one thing that caught my eye was the Chicken Cutlet Parmigiana Hero ($8.89), so that is what I ordered. My friends who accompanied me ordered the Sausage and Peppers Parmigiana Hero ($8.19) and a Calzone with Ricotta and White cheese ($6.19).

We all were very excited to start eating because we had saved up such a huge appetite for this joyous occasion. It was not long until we saw our waitress walking over toward us with our grand meals. And boy, were they grand! We could not believe our eyes when we saw how big all of our meals were. My friend Ryan, who ordered the calzone, explained his calzone was, “large and in charge!” And let me tell you about the heroes...wow! I’ve never encountered a sandwich as  big as the one that was staring at me from my plate. 

After rubbing our eyes to make sure we weren’t imagining our submarines being that big, we were finally ready to devour our food. I looked at my hero and said to myself, “You’re going down!” I took one bite and my mouth went straight to heaven. This was the best and most filling submarine sandwiches I have ever consumed. Connor, my other friend who seemed to enjoy his sausage and peppers hero, said, “It’s so big, I can barely fit it in my mouth!” 

After about 15 minutes of silence, because we were all focused on polishing off our dinner plates, we were done. We were all greatly satisfied with our meals and had to sit for a little bit just so our bodies could digest our large intake of awesome food. 

I highly recommend My Hero to pretty much anybody who is looking for a delicious, Italian style meal. The food is very tastey and you definitely get your money’s worth. It is also located in a very convenient area not too far from campus and right in the middle of town! And, since it is right across from Trailways Bus Station, you can grab a snack before or after a bus trip in the lovely town of New Paltz. Another thing that separates My Hero from many other New Paltz eateries is the outdoor seating. There are several tables with umbrellas located right outside so you can enjoy a slice of pizza outdoors for when it is nice out. I know for a fact I will be going back to My Hero to have some more of their delicious food. The last thing Ryan said before we left was, “My Hero Pizzeria Submarine Shoppe is my hero!”

No comments:

Post a Comment