Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Who Doesn't Love Home-Made Beer?


            Gotcha. Just kidding, they wouldn't serve it to me because I'm not twenty-one yet, but in two years I think we should all definitely go and check it out. Check what out, you ask? Check out The Guilded Otter. Yes, I know it's at the bottom of that damn hill on Main Street past Water Street Market, but I promise you the food is to die for. OR you can take the easy way out like I did and have older friends/suite mates with cars drive your butt there. So you really have no excuse to not go there unless you hate really good food.
            You walk in and see these giant cauldrons (yes I know they aren't really cauldrons) of different beer that's being made right in front of your eyes. The entire places has a rustic yet homey feel to it and your eyes are overwhelmed by how cool the place is. Everyone around you is enjoying the place as much as you do, including the servers. After we sat down at our table I finally opened the menu, and let me tell you, the food on the menu made my mouth water.
            I am probably every restaurateurs least favorite person to dine with because I take forever to pick an item on the menu. But this time I didn't. I looked at the personal pizzas that they offered, and there was my dinner. The Pizza Rustica, aka the greatest pizza I've ever heard of, was going to be my dinner. My own personal pizza topped with Garlic Oil Pesto Basil, Kalmata Olives, Feta Cheese, Artichokes, Roma Tomatoes and Caramelized Onions. I'm getting really hungry just thinking about it. The pizza was amazing, not too oily to make you feel gross and it wasn't too hot to the point that it was impossible to eat. It was perfection. I fell in love with it from the first bite.
            I wasn't the only one pleased with my food. My suite mates and I were silent after we got our food because we were all enjoying it too much. But the food wasn't all that I was pleased with. The service wasn't only friendly, but fast as well. It only took about ten minutes for our table of seven hungry girls to receive one of the greatest meals ever consumed in New Paltz. I can't wait to go back again and eat my favorite pizza.
            The price is the only thing I haven't talked about. While the place is huge and so are the portions, money is the most important thing to a college student. Most students end up bringing their families here or save this place for a nice atmosphere. It's understandable why. My pizza was around nine dollars. I didn't mind paying that for the best pizza that I've ever had, but most people were in an uproar when I told them what I paid. Most of my suitemates also didn't mind paying about ten dollars a head for dinner. Eating at the dining hall all the time made me forget that money exists in this world and now I understand how it feels to be a broke college student.
            Even though they made be a little pricey, the food at The Guilded Otter is worth every penny ( and every step). I think that they strategically placed it at the bottom of the hill so we can all get a nice workout when we leave with our stomachs full.  If you haven't made the adventure to go here yet, I definitely suggest it. As the weather warms up and you're out in town more, walk down that hill and go get some amazing food from an amazing place or bring your family when they come to visit. I promise you won't be let down. This is a place that everyone should experience at least once while they're in New Paltz, maybe after a nice hike up to the Lemon Squeeze anyone? You only live once.

No comments:

Post a Comment