Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Just When I Was About To Give Up On Chinese Food


What is a town without good Chinese food? Extremely depressing, that’s what it is.
I can’t deny that New Paltz has plenty of great places to eat, but I was absolutely heart broken after my two attempts at enjoying a Chinese American meal. There were two Chinese restaurants; one of which I couldn’t even bear to finish the meal, and the other that I could finish but never wanted to return.
Chinese food is a delicacy for Americans. The greatest of all takeout foods. I had no idea what I was going to do for the next 3 ½ years of college. That is, until the grand opening of Asian Fusion! Not only was this place delicious for Chinese restaurants in New Paltz, it was delicious in general. It was almost good enough to compare to NYC Chinese food (but nothing beats anything from the city).
Check our their Facebook page for the menu!
The day that had changed my life, a few of my sorority sisters were spreading the word about a free Chinese buffet at the grand opening of Asian Fusion. Free Chinese buffet in New Paltz? If the other two restaurants were charging money for their low quality food I could only imagine how terrible this food would be. But they kept insisting on how great the food was; and let’s face it, as a college student I can never turn down free food.
Asian Fusion immediately had this nightclub feel to it. The bar was glowing colors, colorful lights were flashing on the walls and the Techno/Dance music was bumpin’, just like they do in Express Stores. The buffet was set up in the back with fried rice, Lo Mein, spring rolls, chicken and broccoli, sushi and more. There was even a table for water and iced tea. The seating was a little awkward (seats lined in an open square so that we were all watching each other obscenely scarf down the food) but it was clear this place wasn’t normally a buffet.
We have no shame in enjoying Chinese food
I grabbed my plate as it was time for the moment of truth. The plates were awfully small – probably to insinuate that the free buffet was just for taste – but I made sure to stack up. I sat down, took a bite, and instantly knew I would be up for seconds and maybe even thirds. The cooks definitely didn’t half-ass this meal. I ate until I was full and had a subtle feeling of regret: Was this meal only so delicious because it was free and I was starving? I knew I had to go back.
And so I did. Two more times within a week and a half. It was so worth it. The second time I had ordered takeout for dinner. Sweet and sour chicken with shrimp fried rice and an egg roll. Stupid me – I meant to order sesame chicken but I’m so glad I didn’t! I can’t remember the last time I ordered sweet and sour chicken but I’ve definitely been missing out! The chicken wasn’t overly battered and I definitely did not have to question the quality of the meat. Unfortunately I had to scarf my food down because I had a full packed schedule and needed to go somewhere but I would have loved to savor every moment of that meal.
The food was almost devoured before
we remembered to take a picture
The third time I decided to enjoy the lunch special with a few of my sorority sisters. I ordered the General Tso Chicken with fried rice and an egg roll (only $7!) as a test. I had tried it once off my boyfriend’s plate but I’ve never ordered it myself. I knew if I were to go to Asian Fusion with my boyfriend he would order this, so I wanted to see if it was good. And of course, it did everything but fail me. This chicken also didn’t have too much batter and it was the perfect balance of sweet flavor included. I even tried sesame chicken off of my friend’s plate and was still surprised at how great everything turned out. 
Knowing that there is an amazing Asian restaurant in New Paltz basically makes this town perfect. The only downfall was my fortune cookie. The fortune was misspelled and didn’t make much sense (I take fortune cookies seriously), but I have faith that that won’t happen again. If you’re strongly craving some good Chinese food, or if you are just deciding what you want to grab for your next meal, I strongly suggest you go to Asian Fusion. You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment