Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Finger-Lickin’ Good Vegan Chocolates

New Paltz chocolate lovers listen up! I have discovered a hidden treasure, a gem;  It’s the crème de la crème of chocolates and it’s right here in town! Their name’s Lagusta’s Luscious and knock-your-socks-off chocolate is their game.


Taken by Georgia Schunk

Tucked away behind Pegasus foot ware, Lagusta’s is a quaint, little house with robin’s-egg blue walls (an overall color scheme of teal and chocolate brown) and artsy, New-Paltz-hippie approved décor creating an ambiance similar to that of a craft store and a coffee shop combined.  


Taken By Georgia Schunk

On all sides of the store are deliciously-displayed chocolate bars and a small refrigerator in the corner is loaded with hand-made products such as cheeses, jams and sodas

Taken By Georgia Schunk


There are shelves upon shelves of perfectly organized spices that add to the already intoxicating aroma of fresh chocolate. If you weren’t craving chocolate before you walked in the door, you certainly are now!

Taken By Georgia Schunk


In a glass display case (perfectly in view the second you walk inside) lay an assortment of hand-crafted VEGAN chocolates! When I first heard that word I thought “oh great, tasteless chocolates… yum” but the little vegan-babies looks so darn beautiful and delicious I thought it might be worth the risk… Best decision I ever made!


Taken By Georgia Schunk

After a long debate between the salted Galápagos turtle and the almond-toffee frog I finally purchased the $3 caramel, chocolate and pecan turtle with a dash of sea salt on top (my sister getting a coconut pyramid ($2), her friend a macadamia Maui vanilla cream with chamomile ($2), and my mother: the almond-toffee frog ($2.50))

Strawberries and Cream Bark (Taken By Georgia Schunk)

Taking my first bite into my turtle I felt an explosion of spices, followed by a gooey eruption of salted caramel. The pecans, slightly roasted, snapped apart giving the candy a nice crunch palatable with the chewy caramel. I found my mouth begging for the next bite until my palm sized turtle was devoured. My chocolate craving: delightfully satiated
Taken from Lagusta's Website

The recipe for chocolate is of unparalleled taste. An odd but yet delicious marriage of spices accompanies every chocolate masterpiece Lagusta’s creates. I will warn those, however, who are not fans of experimenting or spices. With options such as the caramelized onion and chipotle truffle, the coriander-beet truffle, and the furious vulva, to call the recipes “crazy concoctions” would be a gross understatement. 

Taken from Lagusta's Website

To make my time at Lagusta’s even more pleasant (which must seem impossible by now) the most wonderful person was working behind the counter: the owner/ creator/ genius behind Lagusta’s! She had such a friendly demeanor and always carried a pleasant smile across her face. She was there to answer my many questions about her recipes, and gave off a warm and welcome feeling that instantly made me feel comfortable. Had there been a bed in the front of the store, I would have moved in permanently!

Taken By Georgia Schunk


Since my first trip to Lagusta’s I have made a weekly ritual of bringing my friends down and trying out the different chocolate (the selection varies depending on what’s available, what is prepared that day and what’s in season). With an assortment of 8 for $15, we split the coast and slowly slip into a chocolate induced coma.  

Taken by Georgia Schunk

Every time my mom stays for the weekend, she ends up leaving with a bag load of Lagusta’s. On many occasions she has even called me from home and asked me to bring her back a box for her friend’s birthday, or simply because she has a burning craving for the divinely enticing Lagusta’s!
Taken from Lagusta's Website
I would tout to anyone and everyone that Lagusta’s Luscious has the best chocolates in all of New Paltz! Every person I have ever taken along the ride with me has left with a new favorite. Whether it be the Heathen Toffee, the Pomegranate Truffle, the Rosemary Sea-Salt Caramel, or the Walk in the Woods Bonbon, there is something for everyone and always a new thing to try. Even if you don’t feel like a truffle there are croissants, chocolate drinks, cookies, teas, sweets galore! Seriously, if you don’t have a foot out the door already then you must be allergic to chocolate or nowhere near New Paltz! And if that’s the case then I’m sorry, and I can’t believe you read all of this, but for those of you who do not have either excuse, grab your wallet, a friend and an empty stomach and check out Lagusta’s Luscious!
Taken from Lagusta's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment