Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tip Top Treats at The Village Tea Room

           



On a warm Wednesday evening, I was joined by my three best girlfriends for dinner at the Village Tea Room in our little college town of New Paltz, New York. We felt as though we were walking through an enchanted forest as we walked the pathway decorated with trestles wrapped in white lights. We were greeted by a smiling waitress behind a bakery counter at the front door, who quickly sat us in the upstairs dining room alongside an older, jolly couple sharing a bottle of wine.
The upstairs dining room had simple yet sweet décor. The wood paneling and dark wooden furniture reminded me of a restaurant I had once visited while in Scotland. My friend Liz, who has been to Ireland on several occasions, said The Village Tea Room, reminded her of a restaurant she once ate in during one of her many stays. We both felt very reminiscent of our European travels while at The Village Tea Room.
I felt like a little kid playing pretend sitting in this fancy venue with a menu full of items I couldn’t pronounce. We asked loads of questions when the waitress came to take our order and were given very descriptive and helpful answers. The way she answered every question with wide-eyes, we could tell she had a very respectable opinion of the food she would soon be serving us.    
When our food arrived, we were more than satisfied. My best friend Meredith and I each ordered the Potato Toussaint Tart with Salad (15) which was almost bigger than our heads. A generous portion of potatoes layered with creamy cheese in a flakey crust was the most delectable decision I think I have ever made. The small side salad that was placed on the same plate was lightly covered in vinaigrette dressing and fresh. Everyone at the table was raving. My friend Cait ordered the Apple Chutney Chicken Salad (16) which she recommended to me for our next visit to The Village Tea Room. Liz, a vegetarian, ordered the Quinoa Salad (4) and the Roasted Sweet Potato Salad (4). She was very pleased with the amount of vegetarian and vegan items on the menu and was very satisfied with her meal.
            We decided to splurge and each ordered a desert. Liz and I ordered a slice of The Honey Bee Cake (6), which was just about the cutest and tastiest desert I have ever stumbled upon. The vanilla cake was coated in honey butter cream and speckled with apricot preserves to resemble a bee hive. There were even two small chocolate truffles with almond wings to resemble little bees! I felt as though Ms. Honey from Matilda would eat this cottage on the front porch of her little cottage. Meredith and Cait ordered a slice of The Salted Caramel Cake; a chocolate cake drenched in caramel. Meredith let me steal a bite of her piece, which delightfully tickled my taste buds.
I would recommend this restaurant to students looking to impress their visiting parents. This restaurant was a bit too expensive for a poor college student like me, but I wouldn’t mind being treated by my mom to another delicious meal. I would also really like to revisit The Village Tea Room for afternoon tea outside while wearing a pretty sundress with my girls. My overall experience was incredibly enjoyable and I would love to return some time with my mom’s credit card in hand.
The Village Tea Room Restaurant & Bake Shop
10 Plattekill Ave
New Paltz, NY 12561
845.255.3434

No comments:

Post a Comment