Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Presenting Pasquale’s: Preparing Perfection


Pasquale’s exquisite tan bricks!

Alright, I admit it, Pasquale’s isn’t as close to campus as you’d like and it certainly isn’t your usual college impromptu place to eat, but this restaurant is definitely worth the walk and the talk! 

My friend is OBSESSED about this restaurant and she would not stop talking about it until I finally decided to go with her. Of course, the day we decided to embark on this journey was probably the coldest, windiest day of the year, but a plan was a plan, so we stuck to it, and I’m so pleased that we did! 

Pasquale’s Restaurant and Pizza is an Italian restaurant right up Main Street, across the street from Stop & Shop, and closer to campus than Dunkin Donuts (hey, that’s a plus). The outside of the restaurant, located on a corner of an intersection, looks welcoming and presentable. The clean cut building, made of tan bricks, is elegant and inviting. A newly painted mural along the side of the building gives a picturesque touch.

Fancy mural!

Upon entering, we were approached by an amiable waitress who asked us to pick which table we wanted to sit it. There were some booths and some tables with chairs. Without much thought, we picked a booth; comfortable! The inside was smaller than I expected and far less decorative, but it was still embellished nonetheless. The seats were made of a dark red leathery material and the tables had a wood finish. There was family of three seated in a booth to our left and an old couple also in a separate booth seated to the left. A peaceful, merry vibe filled the environment. 

The menus were on the table. That walk sure worked up an appetite! Skimming down the appetizers, I noticed the usual Italian restaurant appetizers like garlic knots, and breadsticks, and even some unique ones like fried dough and jalapeno poppers.  

Have a look at the menu and prices here!

Soon enough, the waitress came by to take our order. She brought along a fresh loaf of bread and butter in a basket (yum!). The bread was perfect melt-in-your-mouth soft and warm. 

For our appetizer, we ordered bruschetta, which our informative waitress explained we could split, because it came in six pieces. It arrived promptly and the smell titillated my nose and stomach. The slices were organized in fine circle. That first bite was incredible! I expected crunchy bread but the bread was surprisingly soft and warm. My friend who has never been a fan of bruschetta said this was the best she’d ever had! The tomatoes were fresh and cut into bite sized pieces. The added olive oil, garlic, and basil ignited a tingly taste that left me wanting more. 

As a vegetarian, I was excited to see so many options. The menu was broken up into sections (e.g. pasta, pizza). My waitress generously told me that some of the entrees could be made vegetarian, like the penne vodka without chicken. She helped me pick out my dinner, Melenzane alla Parmigiana i.e. eggplant parmesan. I appreciated how concerned she was by making sure that the spaghetti on the side was also prepared vegetarian. The dinner meal also came with a salad or soup and I picked the garden salad with Italian dressing. 

The salad and the dressing were good, but not great. The presentation wasn’t as extravagant as the Bruschetta. The dressing was just placed in a small plastic container. The salad needed to be on a bigger plate with more variety in vegetables rather than just a few onions, tomatoes, and carrots on a huge pile of lettuce. Since the salad was fresh, it was still acceptable. 

My entree came out on a large plate, packed with scrumptious-looking food. First I tried the spaghetti. The sauce was tasty, with fresh tomatoes and a hint of oil and garlic, and the noodles were cooked just right. The smell of the eggplant made my mouth water and I couldn’t wait to indulge. The melted cheese was perfectly chewy and the eggplant was cooked to perfection. Everything was delicious! 

As much as I wanted to continue eating, I was stuffed, but the food was too good to let it go to waste, so I decided to get it packed and save it for later! The cost for the dinner was reasonable; it was a little over $15.00 including tax after splitting the bill. This dinner certainly satiated my need for a palatable meal and a sophisticated experience. 

I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a serene dinner. It allows for an experience away from the college scene and makes you feel more at home (college away from college yet home away from home). This place is perfect for visiting families or a date out with a boyfriend or girlfriend who just want a casual yet classy place to eat. If you’re a college student looking for a place that will completely satisfy your hunger in a formal, homely, yet not-so-costly way, Pasquale’s is the place for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment