Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Trip to P and G's


            Recently, my friends and I visited a popular restaurant in New Paltz, New York, called P and G’s. It is located in the heart of the small town. Loyal customers make weekly trips to this restaurant. It is a pretty typical pub with alcohol and food. During the day, P and G’s is a restaurant, but at night it turns into a bar with a night club atmosphere. At first I was skeptical about going; because of the night life I assumed that the restaurant would be dirty. With all the people that go there at night, this was an understandable assumption. I was pleasantly surprised to be proven otherwise.

            Stepping into P and G’s I was immediately hit with the titillating scent of the grill. I could smell the steaks and the burgers cooking. My stomach started to growl because of this. It was on a Friday night around 6 p.m.; pretty much prime time for the restaurants in town. We waited maybe two minutes before we were seated. There were seven of us and we got a nice booth by the table. It over looked one of the side roads off Main Street. Inside P and G’s is not too complicated. It looks like it is made of wood and stone. On the wall are drink specials and beer decorations, like a wood bat that says Budweiser. There are T.V’s above the bar and around the restaurant, which was good because my favorite teams, the Knicks, Yankees, and Devils, were all playing at the same time and I got to watch them all.  First walking in, you see a long bar to your left and seating to your right. There is also a dance floor in the back that has more tables on it during the day.

            The menu is also pretty standard for a pub. The Appetizers menu, or in the Beginning…, as they call it, is the typical one all pubs have; Nachos, Mozzarella sticks, Buffalo Wings, Spinach and Artichoke dip, for example. We got two orders of the Party platter, which is a half rack of St. Louis Ribs, Wings, and Mozzarella Sticks. It took us about fifteen minutes to get our appetizers, and only about five minutes for a waitress. To drink, because we are college students trying to be on a budget, we got pitchers of water for the table. I enjoyed to appetizers, but it wasn’t anything special. The ribs were good but I did not like the wings. The wings were drenched in sauce, and I thought it was too much. For the main part of the meal I ordered a Reuben Sandwich: Corn Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing between rye bread. I ordered fries on the side. I also ordered a Cesar salad. My salad came out first, and it was satisfactory. I enjoy Mcgillicuddy’s Cesar Salads a lot more. The Cesar Salad at P and G’s cost $3.95, and the sandwich cost $6.95. The sandwich was a good size, not too big and not too small (for me at least). I finished that sandwich in minutes. It was delectable. The fries were average but served their purpose as a snack on the side. I was so full after that meal I couldn’t move for a couple minutes.

            My friends ordered different things. The classic BLT, a burger, “The P and G’s Club Sandwich”, soup and salad, and the infamous, “The P and G’s Burger”.  My friend ordered it that one. It was an eight once burger with Swiss cheese, mushrooms, and gravy on a hard roll. It was the first time he had ever ordered it and he loved every second that burger was in his hand. It was monstrous, and I don’t think I could have eaten the whole burger. “It was $6.95 of pure heaven,” said my friend, Dan. Everyone was satisfied with their meal so no one ordered dessert. I only paid eleven dollars plus a two dollar tip. It was pretty affordable. The service throughout the meal was average. Although they never took too long with the food (it took about 20 minutes to get our food) they did not make many trips to the table to ask if we needed anything. My friend did not get ketchup and it took a while to get some. I understood because there were only a couple waitresses and they were decently busy. We also did not have enough utensils and took a couple minutes to get more. They were very friendly when they did serve us though.

            Over all I enjoyed the meal and the atmosphere. I will most likely be going to P and G’s again. I want to see if I can finish that whole burger. It was fun to go out to dinner with my friends, and not have to eat that gross Hasbrouck food (the campus dining hall). Also, the affordability is great for people with college student budgets. After the meal we seat, talked and watched the games for a while. I asked my friends what they thought about the restaurant, the food, décor, and the service, they all agreed with me when I said it was average food but a good atmosphere. I had a good experience at P and G’s and even though all the food isn’t spectacular, you will enjoy your time there.
By, Tyler Mitts

No comments:

Post a Comment