Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Paltz's (kind of) Hidden Treasure

For some time, it felt as though very time I tried a new restaurant in New Paltz, it became my favorite for a short while. That is until I would go to the next restaurant, and alas, a new favorite emerges. But I can honestly say that The Bakery has remained high up on my list and I've tried new places to eat since. I only stumbled upon it by accident, and my tummy has not stopped thanking me.
Frolicking down North Front Street, it's hard to believe that each store could be cuter than the last. But it's true! The old red building that is The Bakery is nestled back between two others, so there is a perfect amount of sun and shade on the outdoor seating of this sort of old-fashioned eatery.





As you walk into the dimly lit, well-stocked store, the aroma of baked goods and breads hits you and mouth watering immediately ensues. Their well-chosen music adds to the good feeling bubbling inside! Look to your left, and you will find a plethora of lunch goods along with an aesthetically pleasing display case. (Please take note of their Hudson Valley award...) Chickpeas, salads, macaroni & cheese cups, gluten-free macaroni and cheese cups, and more! But if that doesn't satisfy your needs, there are bagels, sandwiches, wraps, (once again gluten-free!!!!!!!!) wraps and soup. There is at least something for even the pickiest of eaters. The entrées change daily, but you can stay up to date on their website.
Today, my friend ate their goat cheese, spinach and quinoa patty- it came with a side of horseradish sauce and apparently it was heavenly. Sadly, I couldn't try it, but I plan to ask for a recipe and make my own gluten fee rendition! The last time I came here, they were just out of the gluten free wraps which nearly brought me to tears, so instead I got a vegetable filled grilled eggplant and was delightfully surprised, satisfied and an instant fan! 

There's the quinoa patty! And an Italian Club... Lucky Dara

Thankfully this time the wraps were in! I got the hummus wrap, and added sweet peppers. I had no intention of eating it right then, but I decided to take a bite. My mistake. I was sent straight to chickpea bliss and didn't even get the chance to snap a photo. So satisfying and seriously, the addition of sweet peppers was excellent... and the alfalfa sprouts sprouted to perfection! The hummus, pesto, and sweet pepper sauce oozing around the lettuce. The brown rice wrap was a bit crisp and the right amount of extra wrap to scoop up the oozed hummus and pesto.
The coconut macaroons have quite the reputation around these parts, and I can attest to the rave reviews. For the chocolate lovers, like myself, they also have chocolate dipped macaroons (app. $1 each) so I bought two... yum! They have a light crunch on the outside, and they're sweet and smooth on the inside. The chocolate base protrudes beyond the coconut, leaving more to be enjoyed!
I can't try everything they sell, unfortunately (or thankfully), but according to my fellow diners, the peanut butter brownies are BOMB. And I'm tempted to simply scrape off the graham cracker crust of the chocolate chip cheesecake... hmm or the hazelnut... maybe both. Just about everything is made on site except for a few of their cookies, so you know that along with their fresh ingredients, there's a whole lotta love in their food. 
The smoothie and coffee list is enticing, to say the least. Hmm... blueberry pomegranate smoothie (4.95)...? Or the iced chai ($2.75). After seeing that the smoothies were from a box, and loaded with added sugar, I opted for the chai. I added a little cinnamon, to satisfy my cinnamon obsession, and a touch of honey. Although it did the trick, I don't think that I would get it again, it was a bit milkier than I like them to be. But hey, it doesn't look like Cay had a problem with the chai! 
(<-Cay)

The service is relatively fast and always friendly. They are knowledgeable, and when someone doesn't know an answer for sure, another employee is bound to. The prices for most of the food is shockingly low with the occasional disappointment... the amount of food I got for $15 was lovely and plentiful!
If all you're looking for is a bag of chips, maybe some ice cream and a bottle of specialty drinks, your options are wide still! May I suggest a salted caramel? They're big, sticky, and a beautiful balance of salty and sweet. 
Somebody liked their Mac & Cheese cup... There's a Mighty Mango and Strawberry smoothie, still delicious despite the sugar!

Except for a desire that they had a few more gluten free things, I have only happy thoughts about this quaint place. It's a perfect place for groups to hang out and grab a bite. They are open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m., so go at your leisure! I strongly recommend you, dear readers, check it out if you have not already. If you have, then I suggest you go right back!

No comments:

Post a Comment