Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Moonlight Cafe: A Pleasant Surprise!



The Moonlight Cafe: A Pleasant Surprise! 
Moonlight Cafe. Main street, New Paltz

The Moonlight Café, a small, quaint place in the middle of Main Street is a fabulous pit stop in New Paltz if you’re looking for a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner for a low price. A small café, with a dining room that looks as though it couldn’t fit more than 50 people, the Moonlight Café is attractive and comfortable, and looks newly refurbished with its new tables, chairs, and even an outdoor patio. This place caught my eye with its Mediterranean theme and its inviting feel. 

When I first looked at some of the restaurant’s reviews, I was really nervous about having a meal at the Moonlight Café. It had mostly poor reviews, one person even saying “The service was bad, the tables were dirty, the bench needed to be fixed, and the menu was all over the place. Do try to avoid!” By the looks of it I began thinking he worst, and thought I would come back to my dorm room with food poisoning or splinters in my butt from the terrible benches (OUCH!). I tried not to warn my friends about this, knowing that if I did they would most certainly run for the hills and bail on me.
Dirty tables? Uncomfortable benches? I don't see it!

But when we walked down Main Street and into the café, we were pleasantly surprised. It seemed as though the restaurant went through a complete turnaround, with its new and shiny tables and chairs (which were not dirty, broken, or uncomfortable as many people pointed out, thank God!), and its charming Mediterranean-themed décor, and I was impressed.

When we first arrived, the place was completely empty, and we just stood there waiting for tumbleweed to roll by like in an old western movie. It took a couple minutes before our waiter, who turned out to be the only person working in the restaurant, seated the six of us (and for some reason it seemed as though he was surprised and happy to see some customers). We all started with glasses of water, the typical drink college students with barely a dime to spare order at a restaurant.

When looking through the menu, I saw many different Greek options, like falafel, gyros, kabobs, and even some Greek inspired desserts like the Bas Boosa, a semolina cake with yogurt, honey, and topped with almonds. It all sounded scrumptious! I also recognized that the café not only served Greek food, but they also served many non-Greek dishes, like burgers, Italian dishes such as Chicken Parmigiana, and even Mexican food. What many people might think of as a mis-match of a menu, I actually thought was a great idea for attracting more customers. So if you’re going to this restaurant with someone not particularly fond of Greek food, they will most definitely be able to find something that appeals to their taste buds on this very diverse menu.

To get a full taste of the Moonlight Cafe's menu, just go here!

After a few minutes of contemplating, I decided to order the restaurant’s Crispy Chicken Caesar Wrap, served with an optional salad or side of French fries, and I chose the fries. Only costing $7.95, this dish, along with many others at the Moonlight Café, is a dish that’s very affordable. This place is great for all of the college students around New Paltz who are looking for a comfortable place to dine with friends while saving some cash as well. 
Some of the simply elegant decorations!


The service was great and we were served quickly, since we were the only ones in the restaurant. While waiting, we admired some of the beautiful decorations and jammed out to (what seemed like) Mediterranean club music. It took less than 10 minutes for the food to be served, and I was impressed.
Crispy Chicken Caesar Wrap with Fries...Looked and tasted great!
The wrap and fries were served, and the look of the food on the plain white plate reminded me of something served at a diner: simple and to the point. Though the presentation did look a little boring, looks didn’t matter to me. With my mouth watering and being eager to taste, I immediately dug in and started with the wrap. 

You know when someone says something was so perfect they could swear they heard angels singing? Well I don’t know if it was just because I hadn’t eaten all day and I might have just been delirious, but I definitely had that feeling. The crispiness and crunchiness of the breaded chicken contrasted perfectly and tasted marvelously with the fresh green lettuce, juicy tomato, and the absolutely delectable and zesty Caesar dressing that made me want to lick my fingers after eating it. Though a bit messy with the dressing falling out of the wrap like a river, it was extremely tasty and delicious. 

The deep-fried French fries were just as wonderful. They were cooked flawlessly, with a perfect amount of salt and they even had a slight crisp to them that delighted my taste buds. The fries were a big hit around the table, with everyone asking for more. I was enormously upset when my plate was empty, and though I was extremely full, I was tempted to get another plate of food.   
Now I see a bench. I tried it out though, and there's no need to worry!

So now it’s time for the question we've all been waiting for: would I recommend you all to go to the Moonlight Café? Drumroll please…*drums*… 

                                                           Yes, I definitely would!


I enjoyed the restaurant’s appearance, with its simple Mediterranean décor, the good service, the diverse menu, and of course, the food! And as for the five friends that came along with me, they loved the place, along with the samples of food I gave them, as well! I’m sure that this would be a great place to go with friends or family anytime. And being inexpensive and affordable, even the poorest of college students can afford it! I know I'll definitely be visiting this place again soon! So go to the Moonlight Café, you’ll leave full and happy, and you won’t regret it!

          

No comments:

Post a Comment